1. The project was vastly needed. Broken walls/Ugly wallpaper.
2. The very nature of the opportunity coming about was altogether supernatural. King Artaxerxes had previously forbidden the walls to be rebuilt (Ezra 4) and suddenly he was helping Nehemiah out/I dialled the wrong number and STILL got someone renting a flat with my very specifications (here).
3. The people all pitched in to help. Nehemiah surveyed the damage alone and then proposed the project to Israel’s leaders and soon everyone was rebuilding and excited about doing it/ I saw the apartment (and its disarray) once and then brought friends back to see it again – they got all excited and offered to help.
4. Opposition from without. Nehemiah quickly ran into problems with people wanting to thwart the progress/ It took longer than expected for the landlord to get me the key to the entrance door at the bottom and I had to endure a yelling over the intercom with a friendly neighbour who was getting fed up with letting me in (all of two times. humpff)
5. Opposition from within. The Israelites started getting fed up with building/ I AM GETTING FED UP WITH PAINTING!!!!!!!
6. More opposition from without. Nehemiah and the people are getting somewhere but all sorts of complaints and attempts to stop the work/ I have managed to get internet and phone into my apartment but am still wrestling with the gas company, the electricity company, the gas boiler service company, the kitchen appliance delivery guys, the furniture delivery guys, the weather and I think my neighbours already hate me.
7. The walls get finished, the law is read and they all live happily ever after (more or less!)… Please Lord!!!!????